.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Public Ineffectual

For entertainment purposes only.

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Flirting is Fun

For the last month or so, I have discovered a new allergy - to cooking. But the will-to-survive took over (only after consulting bank account and hours of ignoring protests from my stomach) and I biked over to my local grocery store wondering if I remembered how to shop.

My local store is kind of shabby, I have to say. It makes me wonder if absolutely everything cheap and tasteless will make over the hump to retro. Let's pray the imperatives of commerce head it off at the pass...

They have managed to keep up with the times a bit by offering those carts that are sized-down for lonely single people eating-for-one, like me. Those aisles are really really narrow. And I've discovered the physical proximity has its rewards. Case in point...

As I was going through what passes for a fruit n' veges section, my cart clipped the cart of another. I muttered "ooops, sorry" as I passed and looked back and the man gave me the sweetest, cheekiest smile. This man was probably, conservatively, 80 years old. I don't think he ran into me on purpose but when he did, he knew how to work it...And he made my day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home