.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Public Ineffectual

For entertainment purposes only.

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Its people like this that give winos a bad name.

I was in a clothing store near my house, looking for a belt to go with my new (well, retouched) suit. A greying man saunters in, with a wine bottle sticking out of his jacket pocket. The shopgirl serving me and I exchanged a little knowing look - he's in the wrong place. She stops fussing over me and turns her attention to him asking if "he's looking for something in particular" to which I hear him grumble loudly about getting a gift for his wife. She graciously humours him, suggesting he might get her a sweater or such. I turn back to comparing the gunmetal grey sash versus the black leather belt with silk tie combo.

Just moments later, they are in the course of a transaction at the cash. He turns around and strides purposely for the door. She starts crying and heads for the washroom.

In the time it took me to vascillate over the purchase $10 accessory, the store got held up by knifepoint and robbed.

Merry Xmas.

2 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, your instinct of preservation / sixth sense kinda thing really kicked in didn't it? Not! I'm starting to undersand where "Oblivia" comes from! :-p

I keeed, I keeed, merry xmas, happy new year, all that good stuff.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Oblivia said...

Heh heh, I have to admit I was thinking the same thing at the time. They caught him right away though. My suspicion is that he was on a bit of a spree.

Merry Christmas and a wonderful new year to you too, Patrick!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home