.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Public Ineffectual

For entertainment purposes only.

Monday, January 24, 2005

Un-Real Estate


cube houses
Originally uploaded by urbandiscount.

I caught just a little of the A Charlie Brown Christmas last year. The slew of TV specials tend not to induce the gag reflex so much because they're often beautifully animated like the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer in stop motion or the touchingZiggy's Gift. They really evoke all that was good and right about childhood.

But back to Charlie Brown. As usual, Charlie is a bit blue (could he just be Ziggy as a child?) wondering, "What is Christmas really about anyway?" as all his peers display the materialistic instincts appropriate to the season. He consults Lucy in her capacity as a psychiatrist (The Doctor is Way Out) and the scene goes something like this:

Lucy: I know what you mean. Every year I get something I don't really want like new pillows or toys.
Charlie: What do you really want?

Just as I'm thinking, "I am Lucy. Lucy is me. She is me in a blue dress. Yes.", she provides the kicker:

Lucy: Real estate.

I am Lucy. Lucy is me. And this is the real estate I want. Its in Rotterdam and I have it on good authority that there are two currently for sale. Click link above for pics of the interior. Its sooooooo me...and only asking €186 000! (242 552 USD; 296 892CAD; 315 359AUD)



A dank je to Minister of Enlightenment for the use of the photo!

8 Comments:

At 2:15 AM, Blogger pet said...

Fantastic! I can see me living there, too.
Maybe we can get one together??? It would only be
€ 93.000 each.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Oblivia said...

Yes, Pet, great idea!

Let me just gather some rubies and gold coins to cash in and we're set! I've never been to Rotterdam, or the Netherlands for that matter. You?

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger minister of enlightenment said...

Every time I admit I live in Rotterdam and like it, people (usually from Amsterdam) stare at me in utter horror. In the Netherlands, Rotterdam is renowned for not being a gezellig town. OTOH: we were the world's largest port for decades (Shanghai recently stole that honor) and are world famous for good architecture (Rem Koolhaas is a Rotterdam architect)

Rotterdam was heavily bombed during the first days of the Blitzkrieg: after the war, the city went through a long period of reconstruction. It is only since 1995 that the city is "whole" again.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Oblivia said...

Min. of Enlightenment: that is a full fifty-plus years of redevelopment to be put back together again. Yikes... I look forward to more of your Rotterdam pics! Englighten me!

Every time I admit I'm from Sydney people in Montreal give me a look of horror esp. on the days when it is -30 degrees.

My little eye: Yes, now imagine how architecture like this might have fueled our collective imaginations.

I'm so glad that you and Pet have managed to cross paths, if even on a web page. Pet never saw the architectural monstrosities we grew up with...lucky for her!

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Oblivia said...

I have a distinct feeling that I drove Pet around to "da hood" for a look see. We drove around the whole goddamn city, really. Gordon was very pretty and pretty snooty.

I didn't know this about IBM: what an awful decision. I hate to get all Richard-Florida-creative-classes on your ass but if you want people who are able to "think outside the square" you're not going to find them in the WPH feeder area. By contrast, I believe Nokia put their head office minutes from the water in a development in Pyrmont.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Oblivia said...

Re: "Ugly houses, ugly minds: The real reason for brain-drain in Australia"

blog it

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger pet said...

Yes, oblivia, you drove me around and it was excellent... Never ever had sightseeing tours like this again!
I can remeber how you showed me this shell-station which was settled in the middle of nowhere. not a hughe building, but it looked like a ufo. different to the stations we have in "old europe".
I have to admit, that I've never been to Rotterdam - not even to the netherlands, shame on me. It's exactly 815,93 km from my place to Rotterdam. Not to far to go there for a weekend. But on the other hand, it's only 443,84 km to Mailand / Milan - 615,68 km to Bologna - 604,29 km to Venedig / Venice. Sorry Netherlands I gotta go to Italy :))

Hi "my little eye" remember you, too. Nice to meet you here.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Oblivia said...

Ah, yes, my favourite (s)hell station. What a bizarre architectural undertaking that is...

As for Netherlands, I suppose when you travel you're inclined to go somewhere less culturally 'proximate' than where you are and where the weather promises to be warmer? Damn, I love Europe for the fact that its so dense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home