.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Public Ineffectual

For entertainment purposes only.

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Damn Protocol

Scenario:

You are invited to a party by email. This person does NOT have the decency to BCC thus you see the entire mail-ee list. You know approximately half of the people invited who roughly correspond to a particular sphere of your life.

Problem:

You don't have the foggiest idea WHO this person is.

Solution:
1. Do I simply go and find out who it was?
2. Do I reply saying, "Who the fuck are you and why do you have my email?"
3. Any suggestions on how I might handle this more diplomatically?

6 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Blogger mtlanglo said...

ask one of the people you know on the email...maybe ?- me, I would just go :) live dangerously

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Oblivia said...

I have asked not one, but TWO people. No idea...I have a sense of who is going to be there but I feel stupid turning up without knowing the host.

It's a bit like signing up for a class 'cause you know half your friends are also taking it...only to realise too late that it's statistics.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger quelinda said...

Try to get a couple of the people on the list to come with you as a group thing. You can all feel like idiots together if you do not know host. It a party anyway, bound to be free food and drinks.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Oblivia said...

Michel: the problem is that I don't think its going to fool her. Is it possible that she is actually inviting just about anyone who has ever crossed her email? You know, I've been cc-ed on an email sent to her by someone on the list and then it gets incorporated and so on and so on.

Montrealers are a very trusting people. Are Canadians in general this trusting?

Quelinda: you may be on to something. This could be an interesting experiment. (BTW: do i know you? ;) Welcome!)

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it is a stalker that is trying to suck you all into a web of deceipt and kill you. Oh, that is just the New Yorker in me speaking. Hm....

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Oblivia said...

Don't make me any more paranoid than I already am!

I don't think I'm going to go. Roomie just got a whole whack of Armenian food that we need to plough through on Friday night...woe is me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home