.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Public Ineffectual

For entertainment purposes only.

Friday, December 10, 2004

Dum-dum-dee-dum

I had the worst dream last night. Its strange that I remember so much of it. I got married. Everyone around was soooooooo happy for me (*mwa*...*mwa*) but I had no idea what was going on, how I got there and why I was doing it. I just didn't have the strength to resist. I thought, if I had allowed this to get to this point, I should just go through with it. All the prep had been done, my body and consciousness had been dropped in the middle of it. I didn't even know who the groom was.

Selected scenes:

* I was in a room full of "our friends" (he was younger than me, of course) and someone mentioned his name, Teo (pronounced like "Theo"). I told this girl I had never met before - a "friend", presumably - that I wanted to talk to him. She said, "But he's right over there." and pointed to the corner of the room where a bunch of people were gathered. I swung my head around, "He IS???" I looked back at this group of chit chatting people. My future husband was in there somewhere, only I couldn't even pick him out.

* Trudging up a stairwell in my dress, hiking up my skirt with both arms, muttering to myself with every step, "'Till....Death...Do....Us....Part?!?"

* Being walked down the aisle by my grandmother in a church. (???)

* Parents made a brief appearance and were quite chuffed about the whole thing. It figures they didn't even catch on that I was completely confused.

* Meeting some older English guy coming out of a library who struck up a conversation out of the blue who started to talk to me about my undergrad degree (Hell man, you think I want to talk about this in my wedding dress?). I thought briefly that was quite attractive and felt a small pang that I would never be able to go there again, full well knowing that if it wasn't my wedding day, I wouldn't be thinking this.

* Walking down the aisle making mental note that I must look into the legalities of annulment.

Horrible feeling of confinement and duplicity throughout. Horrible.

8 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Oblivia said...

Its OK. Its all OK. I figured it out in a flash as soon as got a whiff of fresh air. Amazing with a lungful of oxygen can do for a gal...

 
At 2:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so are you going to explain your interpretation of it so we can see if it matches what we all are thinking?!?!?!?!? :)

-MD

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger mtlanglo said...

What are we all thinking? Not big into dream interpretation, but if you're having a dream a dream about getting married isn't it more likely to be about your career, or your raletionship with your family...

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Oblivia said...

MD: No. You first...Ha ha ha. Just joking. I think it has a lot to do with a past relationship and is really an affirmation that I did the right thing. Do you concur?

Secondly, it has meaning vis a vis my career and family, as mtlanglo pointed out, in that general sense of "wtf am I doing" way.

I'm totally into dream analysis myself. It can be an incredibly amusing pasttime. There is a radio station called JJJ in Australia that has a weekday morning call in show with a dream interpreter who is so wicked. She's totally down to earth and on the money. (I know, it sounds like that call in psychic infomercial....)

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetie. That's terrible. I promise you'll never have to get married unless you really want to.
So. Wedding = death (I think we'll agree on that) and church = blessing (or male domination, whichever you prefer). So it's either a ritual release of old, dead things, or... down with men. What do you think?
C.x
PS - Quentin Watts. She rocks.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Oblivia said...

Quentin Watts. Thank you, she does rock. She rocks hard.

Promise me you will stage an intervention if something like this ever happens. (The dress looked pretty much like Simone's, actually.) It just occured to me that and others who are close to the ground on stuff like this were present in the dream, I think it would mean something else altogether. THAT would make for an interesting dream.

I think its a "ritual release of old, dead things" which, in some ways, could also be construed as "down with men". Hee hee, haw haw. Nah, I don't think I'm in a men hating state of mind at all.

Perhaps it is also an "out of control" dream - like one of those fallling dreams that I never have (though I would like to).

Did you notice that the name also rhymes with someone else's?

 
At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny you should say "stage an intervention", because it's exactly what G. and I were discussing on the weekend..
Never fear, even if the minister doesn't call for objections, I'll crash-tackle him before rings are exchanged if you're Doing The Wrong Thing.
Uh.. rhyming names.. what, with Quentin? Am I being a dunce here?
C.x

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger Oblivia said...

Re: "staging an intervention" - does that mean you two are coming over? Cool! I shall have Jeeves ready the north wing of the house in readiness.

If and when the time comes, perhaps you can try and make it BEFORE rings are even bought, k? Promise?

Not rhyming with Quentin, rhyming with someone in my past....took me a while to remember that too...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home