.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Public Ineffectual

For entertainment purposes only.

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Water, water everywhere...but not a drop chez nous

Deprive yourself of one modern utility and realise how soft you have become.

I had no choice in the matter this morning. I woke up only to find that there is no running water in the house. Maybe it has something to do with the torn up sidewalks and jackhammers underneath my window (and all down my street) for the last week-and-a-half. This puts a different spin on my morning rituals:

1. no doing last night's dishes this morning
2. wondering if the toilet is going to flush
3. only-just-tolerating my own morning breath
4. using body lotion to smooth out my hair
5. no shower (took one late last night, thankfully)
6. using what little water is left in the brita jug for COFFEE

Apologies to my lunch date for likely having to run straight to the bathroom to avail myself of their amenities.

1 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That happened to us recently -- the people in the dep downstairs made a unilateral decision to shut off the entire building's water (do they not have their own shutoff valve? Legally, they have to!) so we were plunged into pre-industrial times for about half a day. Reminds me (as with the ice storm in '98) how fragile our society is. Take away hot water and soap and we revert to savagery :)

-aj

 

Post a Comment

<< Home