.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Public Ineffectual

For entertainment purposes only.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Truth in Blogging

I took the name for this post from a short film called "Truth In Advertising". This is a must see short film in which the characters (all Canadian actors, btw) are all advertising industry archetypes and out of whose mouth's come the bold faced truth of what they mean told in the sing song everyday tone of what they say. Click the link above. Watch it and weep as it applies equally well to just about every other soulless corporate situation comedy of your choosing.

I am going to look for some "Truth In Blogging" now. Sometimes, I feel like I ought to have this disclaimer up here: This blog is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely co-incidental. I want my blog to be more *on point* with the stuff that goes across my desk from In Box to Out Tray. It was the outcome of a little conversation* I had below with a friend, in case you're interested in the thought process that began with a little crise de coeur a while back, you can find it below the break.

Part of what I wanted to achieve with this blog is to be able to get into the practice of writing on regular basis and keeping people up-to-date with the latest in my life. I've had a measure of success on both counts. The problem is that the part that gets left out is the part I actually need to talk to people about. I'm still going to have look-at-me posts, what-the-fuck-was-that? posts and awash-in-a-sea-of-sentiment posts because, deep down, I remain the girl who put a pic of her undies on the internet.

If you are interested in interrogating me on the serious stuff, I would encourage you to do so. I cannot promise that I will be able to respond in the fullness you or I might like but lets see how we do. If you care to skim over them, I certainly don't mind either. Its not that we're under new management so much as we've gone from buffet to a la carte.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

publicineffctual: i feel bad because i should be researching and writing something quite else [than the blog]. but in truth, i should really be using the blog for that purpose.
publicineffctual: *revelation*
publicineffctual: i really should be writing my thesis online, i should be airing my ideas online. like john battelle
publicineffctual: i've known this for a while now, but i'm airing it to you.
publicineffctual: then its [blogging] really doing me some good
publicineffctual: its not just another way for me to prance around and go "look at me!". "wheeeeeeeeee!". which is what i normally do.
publicineffctual: *huffs and puffs* [from ranting]
publicineffctual: daily show is on, you gotta go?

.........

publicineffctual: i always worried that i would start to 'live up to' my blog. and i can turn that around and 'live up to my blog' but in a positive way...for it to spur and help me refine my thoughts.

.........

publicineffctual: thing is that the core people that i write for, they WANT to know what i am thinking and i shield them from it.
oblivia's friend: like Paul Rand once said about the logo he designed for ABC (the US network)
oblivia's friend: he was asked, "will your logo live up to the network?"
oblivia's friend: and he replied, "I'm more worried about the network living up to my logo!"
publicineffctual: heheheheh
publicineffctual: good fucking answer
publicineffctual: and the answer is: no
publicineffctual: you know what i should blog this!!!!
publicineffctual: you are helping me see the light!


* conversation edited in the interests of readability, privacy, brevity and relevance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home