.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Public Ineffectual

For entertainment purposes only.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

"Two Great Tastes"


Yoga
Originally uploaded by tangentialism.

...was a comment on another photo of this exact same sign. Its not installation art as was my first guess, its a lower east side clothing label whose name captures some of the commodified sanctimony of some aspects of the yoga culture today. I have no idea what kind of clothes they make, by the way, and is wholly unrelated to the fact that I am currently in Lawg Island, New Yoik.

At my last yoga session I was preoccupied with the fact that I never blog about it. It has become an important form of respite for me, from myself. It is a level of interiority that doesn't lend itself well to words. As A Very Clever man once said to me, "there is nothing quite so dull as listening to people talk about their dreams." (Literal nighttime dreams, not 'aspirations'.) Same idea.

I don't practice yoga regularly at home as I would like to. Without the guidance of an instructor, facing an open mat is a lot like staring at a blank sheet of paper, pen poised in hand. The expectation can be crushing.

Have you ever taken an egg out of the fridge, cradled it in your hand and just looked at it really hard? Its sexless and sensuous, so completely without effort; solid and utterly fragile; the perfect compromise between form and function. Staring at the oeuf is just like staring down the oeuvre within you. Nothing you do can ever be quite as perfect as it already is at that moment. You can incubate it or you can break the shell and only then can you have a chick or you can eat breakfast. If you keep on staring at it, you will start to look at it askance because you're never quite sure of its shelf life.

3 Comments:

At 2:35 PM, Blogger cow said...

http://www.fuckyoga.com/

Nothing fancy or original.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger cow said...

So you mean that perfection (aka eggs) is coming from simplicity of forms like bauhaus?
And if sophistication sometimes could lead to a kind of perfection too. If mess was a kind of perfection too?

And btw, eggs are not always sexless, Cf Empire des Sens (Realm of Senses).

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Oblivia said...

You're right, the clothes aren't really interesting. Its really sad when your website eclipses your product. I'm tempted to get one for my yoga instructor though, just to appease my sick sense of humour.

The egg is really a metaphor for perfection as a non-state state of being. I don't *feel* for eggs, really.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home